The annual cost of operating Camp Kirk is well over $500,000.
Here are some facts about learning disabilities which may best illustrate the reasons for Camp Kirk’s existence and it’s mission:
- 1/10 Canadians has some degree of learning disabilities.
- The most common long-term condition suffered by children up to the age of 14 is learning disabilities.
- Only 3% of school age children with learning disabilities receive special services within schools.
- The majority of students with learning disabilities are either not identified or receive minimal service.
- Almost 60% of adolescent suicides had previously been diagnosed as having learning disabilities.
- In the past 2 decades, the link between learning disabilities and delinquent or criminal behaviour has been established and confirmed.
- Research shows that between 40-70% of young offenders have learning disabilities.
- To keep a young offender in a group home the annual cost is $70,000.
- A reform centre is $95,000.